At precisely 15 days from the start of the new year it is still time for budgets, forecasts and suggestions, looking most of all at the evolution of digital technologies and their impact on the market of systems integration.
Before facing the immersive experience – in every way – of ISE 2019, we will allow ourselves an additional reflection on the digital “cracks” that will accompany businesses, professionals and clients in 2019, taking inspiration from an interesting article from Axis Communication. The progressive thinning of the barriers between IT, electronics and the electrical world on one end and physical and logical security on the other amplify the scope of technological horizons dominated by artificial intelligence and cyber security.
A digital 2019 in 6 trends (old and new)
Between new products and confirmations, with respect to the top trends published exactly one year ago, the experts at Axis identified some technological areas whose potential evolution merits taking a glance:
- Artificial intelligence: the most skeptical individuals could lament the absence of any demonstrable applications of Artificial Intelligence, but progress follows varying rhythms from sector to sector. In surveillance, for example, machines and deep learning are primarily applied to video analyses, but it is expected that this technology will become an important component of products and applications of various types.
- Cloud and Edge computing: with the proliferation of connected devices (IoT), the volume of data also increases exponentially, creating difficulty in terms of archival and bandwidth. This is where Edge computing would come into play, which maintains the majority of data that is elaborated close to the point at which it has been gathered (ex. sensors) before its transfer to the data center.
- Privacy: the new GDPR “fathomed” the practices of the gathering, archival, sharing and use of personal information from users (including surveillance). Specifically, the concerns related to privacy and the use of personal data by a corporation will be among the aspects that greatly influence the trust between clients and companies in the near future.
- Cyber security: attacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated, while the growing number of connected devices increases vulnerability of the system and unsecure access points.
- Intelligence and sustainability: video analyses are also an instrument for improving the energy efficiency of buildings, but new sensors exist that are able to measure environmental impact with greater accuracy, growing efficiency and savings in professional and industrial contexts.
- Integration and Smart Cities: the last trend for 2019 is in the concatenation of “smart” actions. For example, in a Smart City a motion sensor connected to a railroad crossing can activate a camera that, in turn, could sound an alarm in the operations center, permitting a fast and appropriate response. The possible combinations of sensors available on the market today are infinite, as are the potential advantages of this integration.
To know if the six trends are confirmed among the top of technological evolution in the months to come, we will have to wait until the end of 2019. In the meantime, let’s enjoy the opportunities and innovations generated by these dynamic markets.
Read the full article on the technological trends of 2019 according to Axis Communication.
This post is also available in: Italian