On the occasion of IFA 2018 (Berlin 31/8-5/9), Harman International conducted a study** on peoples’ listening habits and the benefits of music from a physical, psychological and cognitive point of view. The good news is that the ability to listen is not automatic, but can be learned and improved.
Here are some highlights from the study:
- Music is very important; listening is not remaining at the mercy of background noise, but is rather such an important process that 70% of those interviewed (in the UK, France and Germany) listen to music daily, and 94% enjoy it;
- Listening habits have changed; we listen to music on the move, often in spare moments, often skipping from one track to another, rarely listening to entire albums;
- There is a desire to listen more; despite music being more accessible than in years past, 40% of those interviewed admit to listening to less music today than previously;
- Attentive listening brings benefits; music brings psychological, physiological and cognitive benefits. 65% of those interviewed state that music makes them feel happier, 70% say it helps them relax and socialize, 62% agree that it helps them connect with their inner self; and for 53% it even helps them be more productive at work;
- It is possible to learn to listen; you can move from superficial to active listening with a process that involves attention and presence. 4 out of 10 individuals agree that a quality sound system can help them listen better;
- Clean, authentic sound; many realize that they have a limited listening experience. Among the wishes of those interviewed we find: crystal clear sound, immersive sound and surround sound…the important factor for everyone is sound that is authentic and faithful to the source.
A word to the wise…
**The study involved 5,073 people in France, Germany, the UK and the USA and was conducted by Future Source Consulting for Harman International in July 2018.
The source: news.harman.com/releases/harman-leads-the-way-in-active-listening
Harman International at IFA: news.harman.com/media-kits/ifa2018
This post is also available in: Italian
More from References
A new class D amplifier, a new presentation switcher and a serial interface: these are the news just announced in …